Thursday, July 17, 2008

GREAT Wine under $20



In homage to Dr. Debs (the real Dr. Debs of Good Wine Under $20 fame), I am happy to report that I had a fantastic evening last night at the Cameron Hughes wine reception hosted by Cornelius of Wine 2.0 & RadCru.

Most impressive were the Alexander Valley & various Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon selections, poured from the new Lot releases by Cameron himself.

Cameron Hughes Wine has made a name for itself as premium quality budget priced wine, widely available at Costco warehouses everywhere. Thes
e premium wines average $15 and under, with a few of the more unusual selections hovering around $20. I don't have to tell you, that $15 for a stellar Cabernet from Napa is like having someone forget to add an item on your bill at your favorite restaurant. It almost feels like stealing candy from a baby!

How do they do it? Well it's actually a fairly old story of the negociant, a wine merchant who buys grapes or finished wine and slaps their own label on it. IN this case, which amazing results that are different with every lot and every year. Cameron Hughes Wine focuses on buying bits & pieces of leftover super premium wine. Sometimes, wineries don't want a large case production, to create the illusion of scarcity. Sometimes, they just aren't happy with the results. And sometimes, well sometimes I just can't understand dhow they can give up such wonderful elixirs but I"m happy I reap the financial benefits!


My highlights from the tasting are:
This was my outstanding wine winner of the night, both because of the killer dusty cocoa, tobacco and richness, as well as the stupid cheap price. I pre-ordered 2 bottles of it, but now am kicking myself for not ordering more. $15 (not released yet)
A very close 2nd to Alexander Valley, I had a hard time picking my favorite. So I tasted more. And again. And often. Oy the joys of a cab ride home! $16 (not released yet)
  • Lot ? 2006 Yountville Cabernet Sauvignon
This was the first cab we tasted last night, and I thought it would be my favorite. But as we moved down the line, Alex and Chalk just kicked Yountville's little butt. But it was still good, and a screaming value. Hell, all of them are. It's young, and needs to be decanted & held, but for $15? Seriously!
  • Lot ? Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon
Silly me, I didn't keep my tasting sheet because I turned it in to order, and now can't remember the lot numbers. But this was a tasty tidbit too! I admit, at this point, i sort of lost count because they were so tasty.
For me, a typically non Merlot drinker, this wine blew me away. It is a rich & powerful merlot, coming from an area that i wouldn't expect and yet didn't' have that overpowering manipulated feel of most commercial wines.
$15A very minty syrah, with a lot of spice. It was a bit tannic for me, and could use a bit more balance but I expect great things in the future. $15
This was a surprise, and a really interesting blend that caught my attention quickly as we tasted the large array of wines on the bar. Grenache & Carignane come together to give a taste of Spain in a classic meritage. $20

The moral of the story? Don't prejudge! I have had some of the other CH Wines, and wasn't terribly impressed. However, with the variety of Lots and the amazing Cabernets, I will certainly not shy away in the future.

Thanks to
RadCru and Cameron Hughes for a great time at Varnish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your reviews are wonderful! I too am a Cameron fan and appreciate the value of their most fabulous wien!